Friday, October 18, 2013

Leaving Soon

 In less than two weeks, we are returning to Canada.  A few days ago, I missed Canada for the first time since we're here.  Today, as I drove home from my friend's place about 45 minutes away, I looked at the countryside and couldn't imagine not seeing it for the next 10 or so months.

I've gotten USED to being here.  Lush greenery, terra cotta houses, blue, green shutters, stone walls, fields and fields of vine, countless traffic circles, blue sky, hills, streams, fountains, waterfalls, plane trees, town squares, markets, stairs, alleyways, hidden courtyards, ivy, cheese, saucisson, baguette, puff pastry, olives, this is my France.

I will miss my friends, neighbors, Patricia the cheese lady and Stephane the saucisson man and three Vian patriarchs that live down the street. I will miss driving manual and going to sleep and waking up to the sound of the stream, French people's love of Canadians and trying new things to eat.  I will miss the cheese and wine aisles at Leclerc and the hot coffee on the town square after the market.

I will miss Robert and Elisabeth and their dog Balou.  I will miss the brocante and the vide-grenier and the second hand stores.  I will miss the 20+ degree weather in October and the fresh water we drink from the fountain on our little street.

I will miss being away and insouciante.  I will miss hearing French all around me. I will miss the gorgeous country that is France.

Melancholic Stella

No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...