I had a visit yesterday from D. my veg fairy.
Wednesday, July 20, 2016
Here is where we are so far. Bedroom is 90% done. We need to do little weeny picky touch ups, buy tie-backs and get the drapes in place properly and purchase the end-of-the-bed bench. We still need to paint the ensuite but as there is little damage to the walls, we'll get it done in a day or two.
Sunday, July 10, 2016
- Step 2 is washing walls which should be a lot quicker. Should take a couple of hours.
- Step 3 is repairing walls with spakling, then sanding and vacuuming, again.
- Step 4 is applying an undercoat which will help greatly in hiding imperfections.
- Step 5 is taping and laying down newspaper.
- Step 6 is painting the top third of the wall with my chosen color called: Thunder.
- Step 7 is repainting all mouldings and bottom third of the wall with the original color: Cloud White. These are from Benjamin Moore. I bought the top quality paint which I love as it only requires one coat.
- Step 8 is shampooing rugs.
- Step 9 is putting up curtains (after I buy new rods).
- Step 10 is making shams and a throw out of my second duvet cover.
- Step 11 is making up bed, replacing furniture and putting up pictures.
- Step 12 is lightly sanding and painting the ensuite.
Here are my colors :
Thursday, July 7, 2016
I have met several challenges in the last months, none so difficult as dealing with my aged father and interacting with my siblings. Old patterns emerge, obscure perceptions and hurt feelings are prevalent.
Today, as a kindness to myself, I picked a card from my Wisdom of the Oracle deck and lo and behold, I picked The Observer. The Oracle's relationship message is the following:
Sometimes you just can’t see the forest for the trees in your way. Feelings can get all jumbled up, and often you hear one thing when a person says another. It can be like an echo of an unresolved past experience dubbed over your conversation. Take time out before you react. It’s likely the other person has no idea how his or her words have affected you. Take a few steps back and lend understanding to the situation.Amen.
Have faith in your connection and trust that you can come together. Take to higher ground now and cultivate curiosity about what you observe in yourself, in others, and in the landscape. You will find things much improved sooner than you know.
Over the last week, I've been peeling wallpaper off the walls of our bedroom as preparation for the redecoration. It is a long boring process but as long boring processes are, they are often meditative and calming. I am enjoying myself, not unlike two summers ago when I painted the exterior of our house.
I am done with the red toile that has been providing a backdrop for sleeping, drinking coffee, reading... Although the wallpaper is pristine, the bed linens and curtains are tired-looking and the decor no longer reflects who I am/we are. I didn't feel a thing when I ripped off the first piece. A sure sign that the time had come.
Finally, this lovely book is coming to the screen with one of my favorite young actors: Michael Fassbender. I've been watching him for a few years now and he gets better and better. Alicia Vikander won the best actress award this year. She is luminous. Have you seen her in 'The Danish Girl'?