Monday, January 14, 2013



Went to see the movie this weekend with my two men.  I am not a lover or great follower of politics and the first 30 minutes of the movie went a little fast for me, struggling with the context to understand who was who and what was what.  After that, Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones were a pure pleasure to watch.

Lincoln, who looked stern, wasn't, the movie portrays him as a deep thinker, a humanist and someone who made a point by telling a story.  The scene where he quotes Euclid: «Things which are equal to the same things are equal to each other.» is a powerful one.  He is chatting with the telegrapher and his companion. 

He is just sitting there, ruminating, on the verge of sending a very important telegraph to Ulysses S. Grant and is half talking to himself as he seemingly reassures himself that he is doing the right thing. 

Yes, a deep thinker, a loving father to his youngest son, a compassionate husband, a man in control of his feelings and a quietly determined hand of steel in a velvet glove.

Day-Lewis is luminous, Field is tremulous and strong, Tommy Lee comical and resolute.

A must see.

I give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

Bonne journée,

Stella

No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...