Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Oh! Oprah

Photo source: moi
Photo source: The Vancouver Sun

O.k.  we were not right next to the stage but we were pretty close considering that Rexall Place holds 14,000 spectators and that the place was full!

A month before this night, when I heard that Oprah was going to speak in Edmonton, a little whisper said:  "You should attend."  So glad I heeded the call because what Oprah had to say, I needed to hear especially this January, six or so months before you-know-what.


So what did I need to hear?  I needed to hear about Glory, Joy and Peace, about who we've all been called to live, thrive and contribute.  Find out what your gift/job is and share it in service to others.

My whole adult life, I've wondered if I was in the right place, doing the right thing,  working at the right job.  I just kept plugging on and on the way, I met/taught hundreds of wonderful and less wonderful people, some I still stay in touch with, but I shared a little piece of who I am with all of them and I know that I helped some of them along their way.

In the last ten years, although I have done less teaching, I have still had/have the opportunity to mentor, to accompany, to encourage, to listen to, to give feedback to...

Today, when I have the opportunity to introduce A to B whether it be a person to a person or a person to a thing, an idea, another person, it gives me a thrill to know that I have helped someone along their way.

That is what An Evening With Oprah gave me, it was the validation I needed, to know that I've been in the right place/job all along, doing the right thing, for ME, and that I will probably continue to do so because that is my calling.

Here are some Oprah tidbits that I will pursue:

1. The Soul's Code by James Hillman
2. What is purpose?  The Spirit seeking expression.
3. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul - Invictus
4. "I am so tired."  Watch the way you language yourself. Change your own narrative.
5. Do all you can do, and then let it go.