Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Oh! Oprah

Photo source: moi
Photo source: The Vancouver Sun

O.k.  we were not right next to the stage but we were pretty close considering that Rexall Place holds 14,000 spectators and that the place was full!

A month before this night, when I heard that Oprah was going to speak in Edmonton, a little whisper said:  "You should attend."  So glad I heeded the call because what Oprah had to say, I needed to hear especially this January, six or so months before you-know-what.


So what did I need to hear?  I needed to hear about Glory, Joy and Peace, about who we've all been called to live, thrive and contribute.  Find out what your gift/job is and share it in service to others.

My whole adult life, I've wondered if I was in the right place, doing the right thing,  working at the right job.  I just kept plugging on and on the way, I met/taught hundreds of wonderful and less wonderful people, some I still stay in touch with, but I shared a little piece of who I am with all of them and I know that I helped some of them along their way.

In the last ten years, although I have done less teaching, I have still had/have the opportunity to mentor, to accompany, to encourage, to listen to, to give feedback to...

Today, when I have the opportunity to introduce A to B whether it be a person to a person or a person to a thing, an idea, another person, it gives me a thrill to know that I have helped someone along their way.

That is what An Evening With Oprah gave me, it was the validation I needed, to know that I've been in the right place/job all along, doing the right thing, for ME, and that I will probably continue to do so because that is my calling.

Here are some Oprah tidbits that I will pursue:

1. The Soul's Code by James Hillman
2. What is purpose?  The Spirit seeking expression.
3. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul - Invictus
4. "I am so tired."  Watch the way you language yourself. Change your own narrative.
5. Do all you can do, and then let it go.
Image via

6. Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.


Bonsoir,

Stella

No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...