Sunday, November 20, 2011

Goodnight Sweethearts

It's almost 8:30 as I write this post and I have done most of what I had intended this weekend.  Sewing place mats with D., check, laundry, check, groceries, check, lunch for tomorrow, check, dishes washed, check, bag to bring to work, check, clothes for tomorrow, not yet.

I often feel that the success of Monday hinges a fair bit on the preparation of the preceding Sunday, don't you?  If I have to get up on a Monday and reorganize my work world before I go to work, I find that I am not primed to have a good day.  In fact, going to bed by 10:30 is also a part of the preparation to go to work.  I find that good sleep hygiene is a must. Calm one hour before bedtime, no last minute: OMG I forgot to... these tend to get me stirred up and not prepared for a good night's sleep.

And so it is, that most Sundays after supper will find me on a mission to organize myself, my week to come, and visualize it.  I have to see myself getting ready for my reading circle, envisioning what I will need a few days in advance.  I start small piles on the dining room table or in tote bags, ready to go.


Here are a few good sleep hygiene tips from: http://heartofhealing.net/relaxation-wellness/sleep/7-tips-for-a-good-nights-sleep/
1 – Create a relaxing bedtime routine. Give yourself time to get ready for bed slowly. Savor the moments of winding down as you wash your face, brush your teeth, and change into your bed clothes. You can use aroma oils, soft music – be creative! If spirituality is important to you, include a prayer.
2 – Keep your bedroom cool, quiet, and dark. (Usually a cool room promotes sleep, but you will have difficulty sleeping if you feel cold, so experiment. If your feet are cold in winter, warm them up before bed!)
3 – Drink a cup of warm milk. (you can add nutmeg for its sleep inducing properties) or a relaxing tea, like chamomile.
4 – Massage your feet, especially with warm oil, right before bed – it’s very relaxing.
5 – Stretch a bit before you lie down. You can literally stretch out some of the “kinks” and tension of the day. Stretching makes some people more energetic and some more sleepy, so experiment and find out what works for you. Don’t overdo it – stretch just enough to help you relax.
6 – Take a hot bath. If trying A hot bath can be extremely relaxing. Light some candles. Add a relaxing aroma oil, such as lavender oil, to the water. Luxuriate!
7 – Once you are in bed, listen to relaxing music or a relaxation or sleep CD to help you shift gears and relax into sleep.
Bonsoir. Dormez bien,

Stella

1 comment:

Linda said...

No school for me this week so I am sleeping according to my body's rhythm. Feels so good! Sunday nights I always spend getting ready for school, too. Will keep your advise in mind as I return to school next week.

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...