Friday, October 19, 2012

Breaking Bad

Recently, I have been watching a series that has been on TV for a few years.  This, on the recommendation of my sons.  After watching all of seasons 1 and 2 and two episodes of season 3 on Netflix, I think I am about to quit.  Why?

Because I have always been a girl who likes stories that finish on a more positive tone.  Because I have a hard time watching violence.  Because it breaks my heart to get attached to characters only to become really turned off by their behaviour.

Granted, this series is well written and has a good pace, characters develop certainly but when I have the feeling that everything is going down the tubes, I can't watch.  I have the same experience when movies go in this direction.  When I feel there is no hope for the characters, I am no longer motivated to watch the downward spiral... Know what I mean?

According to Wikipedia:
Hope is the emotional state which promotes the belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life. Despair is the opposite of hope.
When watching drama either on TV or the big screen, I don't need to feel despair.  Sure, I can do despair, but not for the duration, especially the downward spiral thing. 

Does that mean that I am an eternal optimist? Does it mean I need life to be sugar-coated? Does it mean that I live a life too sheltered from all the horrible stuff that goes on out there?

My Mom used to say: «I don't find this entertaining.»  Although I don't always require entertainment, I do like to be challenged, I like a movie or TV episode to make me think... just not to lose hope.

What do you think?


Stella

No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...