Friday, September 7, 2012

Remembering Marlon Brando

When I was a girl, I developed  a crush on Marlon after seeing him as Fletcher Christian on Mutiny on the Bounty.  Who wouldn't?  He was young, devilishly handsome and masculine.  He seemed the perfect man to me.  As Christian, he is a gentleman and a powerful man.  And boy did he look good in those white pants!
Marlon in his thirties to fifties was the Marlon I thought most handsome.  Some said he had the face of a poet and the body of a Greek god.  He embodied masculinity, yes but he also had a soft feminine side, a vulnerability that was not just acting.  I think that celebrity shook him to the core, to the point where he no longer wanted to act and especially did not want to talk about his movies.

I just finished reading a biography of Marlon written by his long-time personal assistant: Alice Marchak and despite the sexual and prescription drug addiction, despite his lying ways, I still think he was a hottie.  I watched The Last Tango in Paris again.  Some say it is his greatest performance and I have to agree. Despite the dark nature of the film, he shines as only Marlon Brando can.
A Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront, The Fugitive Kind, Morituri, Mutiny on the Bounty, The Godfather, The Last Tango in Paris are all worth a watch.

Bonne fin de semaine,

Stella

No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...