Sunday, July 27, 2014

Eton Mess

Here's a new (to me) dessert that is perfect after a light summer meal.  This recipe hails from England.

1. Make a compote of about 6 sticks of rhubarb, 1-2 cups of halved strawberries, 1/2 lemon of juice and its peel.  Sweeten to taste (I used about 1/2 cup of Palm sugar).  Cook 15 minutes on low heat in a heavy pan.  Cool on the counter and put in the fridge.
2. Make or buy meringues.
3. When ready to serve, whip heavy cream (about 1 cup), adding vanilla and icing sugar to taste.  Break up meringues into the whipped cream.
4. In a glass or bowl, spoon rhubarb and strawberry compote and alternate with meringue-enriched whipping cream.  Makes 4-6 servings.
5. ENJOY!  We certainly did.

My friend tells me she does her rhubarb compote with orange juice and peel.  I threw in a few cardamom pods for taste.  Next time, I will extract the seeds for more flavour.

Have a great Sunday!

Stella

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miam! (RB)

Rhubarb Wonder said...

I have never had Rhubarb... it never tempted me. But this might do the trick.

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...