Friday, October 28, 2011

A Dishwasher That Washes Dishes

O.k., this is not going to be a very exciting post, but it's nonetheless what is on my mind... and on my dishes and cutlery!

Is it because I live with three males?  Is it because the dishwasher is 7 years old?  Is it because the life expectancy of a dishwasher is very short?  Is it because I've been buying middle-of-the-line dishwashers?  Is it because we had the dishwasher running only once a day?  Did we fill it too full?

For whatever reason, we've had three dishwashers in the past 29 years and tomorrow our fourth will be installed. This time, we went for the top-of-the-line brand.

After Christmas, we'll be three instead of four people in the house and I'll watch my youngest son D. (19 1/2) like a hawk to make sure he rinses his dishes thoroughly before putting them in the dishwasher... No wait, isn't a dishwasher meant to WASH dishes?

Of course dishes need to be rinsed before they go in but do all traces of foodstuffs have to be removed before being washed in a dishwasher?  Our dishwashers have done a reasonably good job for 10 years, 7 years, 5 years before leaving unwanted materials on dishes after the washing cycle.  Yes, this means I've spent about 7 years fighting with a dishwasher, taking it apart, making it go through a vinegar wash, unplugging the water wands, etc.

This is going to be my last dishwasher purchase for this kitchen.  You know how I know?  I'm going to sell my house before it gives out!

Bon weekend,

Stella

No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...