Friday, August 29, 2014

Les verrines d'Élisabeth

My neighbor upstairs, Élisabeth, is recently widowed.  Hers was a good marriage, a loving relationship.  She is fragile but steady, keeping herself busy and taking part in life in every way possible. She shared this recipe with me when we all exclaimed how delicious and refreshing it was.

I served this as an entrée this week (followed by ratatouille on the best polenta I've ever had/made but that is a subject for another post).

Anyhow, here's the wondrous thing.
Photo via
Photo via
Photo by me
Recipe:

For 4 people or six if you're just giving a taste of it.

1 - 1 1/2 cup fromage blanc 3% OR Plain greek yogurt
2 slices smoked salmon or smoked trout cut into small squares
1 english cucumber, hulled, quartered lengthwise and sliced
1-2 T chopped dill
zest of one lime
salt and pepper to taste

In a bowl combine fromage blanc, sliced cucumber, zest, salt, pepper and diced smoked salmon.  Put this combination in a glass.  Top with a curl of salmon topped with a black olive and a sprig of dill.  You could also top with diced red onion or capers.  Add a half slice of lime on the rim of the glass.

Delicious, it brings to mind Tzatziki, refreshing (cucumber and dill how could it not be!) and tasty.  Love the smoked salmon with fromage frais or greek yogurt or crème fraiche, just love the saltiness of it juxtaposed with the tang of the white stuff.

I am sure that there are countless variations possible.  Try it won't you?

La table de Stella

No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...