Saturday, April 5, 2014

Reaching for the Moon


A love story based on the poet Elizabeth Bishop's ten-year love affair with Brazilian architect Lota de Macedo Soares. Beautiful movie, setting, story, art, architecture.

Here is a poem Elizabeth wrote for Lota: 

Close, close all night
the lovers keep.
They turn together 
in their sleep,

Close as two pages
in a book
they read each other 
in the dark.
  
Each knows all
the other knows,
learned by heart 
from head to toes.

Lota's lover Mary knows that Lota has fallen in love with Elizabeth when she gives her her Calder brooch much like this one, but in silver.


I wrote about a Calder brooch before, this one belonging to the unparallelled Georgia O'Keefe.


Wish list: Calder-like brooch.  Maybe I could hammer out some silver wire to like like it...

Stella

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Avec un bureau comme celui-là, nous pourrions en créer de la poésie. Tout un lieu d'inspiration! Non mais blague à part, c'est un beau film, belle histoire! RB

Lizette said...

What a touching poem!

Stella said...

You know, I'm discovering more and more lovely poems and I think I'm going to share them. Thanks for letting me know that you liked it.
xo

Stella said...

RB, merci pour ton commentaire. Qui ne rêve pas d'avoir son propre petit studio...

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...