Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Barberini Faun

Picture this: 1980, my first trip to Europe.  I am 22 and have a love affair with literature and art.  I tour Europe for 4 months from September to December.

In Italy, on the way to Greece, my roommate and I meet up with a group of people our age and we travel through Greece together.  In the group is a young woman Susan from New Hamshire travelling with Barney from La Jolla, California.  They have been to Munich's Glyptothek and urge us to do the same.  Susan tells us that the Barberini Faun (or the Drunken Satyr) is to be found there.

No longer said than done.  After we hotfoot it to Venice and Lake Constance, our next stop is Munich and the Glyptothek to see what all the fuss is about.





Well, he IS impressive.  I have a good long look thinking I'm probably not going to make it back to Munich to see him.


This September when in Paris, V. and I visited the Musée d'Orsay.  As we make our way in, we find out that there is a special exhibition on male nudes.  Among which we see...


Even though this one is a copy of the original in Munich, now you have an idea what all the fuss was about...

Bisous,

Stella

No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...