Sunday, August 30, 2015

Fairies and Fig Jam

I have an understanding with my neighbor Manuel.  I get to pick all the figs off of the tree at the far end of his property and just across the stream from ours and I give him fig jam.  Of course, it's not a completely mutually beneficial understanding because he gives me olive oil from his olive grove too.
I cut figs in half because I like large pieces on my buttered baguette.
About 3 lbs of figs to 1 kilo of sugar.
Add sugar and let macerate overnight.
I cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour and add 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract at the end.
I use dishwasher-cleaned Bonne Maman jam jars.

So I am completely beholden to Manuel and sing his praises to any and all who will hear them.  Can you believe it? The fig jam is from the fig tree across the stream, about 3 meters away from our balcony as is the olive oil...  Thyme, rosemary and bay leaves also grow on our property... How's that for eating what grows around you?

So, I have an olive oil and fig fairy in Cotignac and I have a vegetable fairy at home in Canada (my sister D).

Twin blessings.

Love,

Stella

2 comments:

Lizette said...

Does the fig fairy do house calls? I can't imagine how delicious a fresh fig must taste!

Stella said...

I wish I could do like Star Trek and use the transporter to come and go between Cotignac and St. Albert! Fresh figs taste slightly sweet and feel rich in the mouth and leave crunchy little seeds at the end to smash with the teeth.

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...