Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Last night V. and I went to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel at a cinema close by.  V. was willing but didn't quite know what to expect.

The movie is delightful as I knew it would be.  How could it not be?  With Judy Dench, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson and Bill Nighy, it had to be good and it does not disappoint.

From the strength of the all-star cast to the colors and flavours of India through a lovely story about 8 people who are thrown together, this movie keeps your attention and makes you love it.  Each character will evolve in the couple of months during which the story takes place, and all of them for the better.  It's just a treat to see actors I really appreciate together in a story that makes you smile and apparently, makes you cry...

During the movie I heard snivelling to my left and behold, V. was crying, almost sobbing at one point.  You see, V. has 14 days left to go before retirement and the fun, kindness and humanity of the movie got to him.  I think he saw himself, and let go of a lot of stress that he has been accumulating over the last year.

Anyway, Judy Dench is lovely, when you consider that she suffers from macular degeneration and that she can't see very well, you would never guess it.  Maggie Smith is a hoot, Bill Nighy is his usual self-deprecating self and his wife, Penelope Wilton is perfectly bitchy.

A must see for anyone over 50.  I give it four stars out of five.

Bon dimanche et bonne fête des pères,

Stella


No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...