Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Book of Negroes



A few years ago, my reading circle chose to read The Book of Negroes by Canadian Lawrence Hill.  We loved it and were all fans of the heroine: Aminata Diallo.

The CBC has made the book into a series and has been showing over the last five weeks.  I missed last week so I went looking for it and ALAS!  You can watch all of the episodes here.

Aminata is played very ably by the beautiful Aunjanue Ellis.  It's the story  from when she was taken from her African home to late life as a heroine of the abolition of slavery.  Here is the synopsis provided on IMDB:
 Kidnapped in Africa and subsequently enslaved in South Carolina, Aminata must navigate a revolution in New York, isolation in Nova Scotia and treacherous jungles of Sierra Leone, in an attempt to secure her freedom in the 19th century.

Definitely worth watching!

Watching-while-knitting Stella

No comments:

Happy Birthday to Me

My face is on fire as I write this.  Can't go outside for three days because I've had Photodynamic Therapy for pre-cancerous cells o...